My mouth is watering as I read about all the new menu items at the 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival. It was only six months ago that our Mouse Holiday Family was pushing our way through the toasty World Showcase, sampling as much of the Food & Wine Festival as the kids would tolerate – but I am so ready for more delicacies! Noshing on small portions from the various ethnic Marketplaces was a wonderful way to encourage the kids to try new foods. The Flower and Garden Festival likewise features booths arranged around World Showcase – Outdoor Kitchens, in this festival’s parlance – offering fresh flavors themed to their corresponding countries. Special “TRYit!” dishes have been specially created to appeal to kids, combining both familiar and new flavors in an attempt to expand often picky palates.
Here are some of the new TRYit! edibles offered this year at the festival through May 18:
- Florida kumquat pie
- Hanami sushi with beef, scallops and salmon in a shiso violet sauce
- orange blossom macarons with white chocolate ganache
- sweet potato-cinnamon waffle with pineapple soft serve
- eggplant “scallop” with spaghetti squash
- smoked turkey “ribs”
- Caprese push-up with tomato, mozarella and balsamic
And if the kids TRYit and don’t care for it? More for me!